Sunday, September 16, 2012

Vintage charm in a box

On my most recent visit to my parents' place, (side note - they still live in the house that I grew up in and it's even the house where my mom grew up - talk about family history!) I was in the kitchen with my mom when she pulled out her recipe box and sighed "look at this mess!" She was referring to her overstuffed, disorganized recipe box. The age of searching for recipes online and printing them out on letter-sized paper has wreaked havoc on recipe boxes everywhere! Can anyone relate to this?


But that's not really the point of this blog post. She continued on and commented that she had had this particular recipe box since she was a young girl in 4-H club. I did the math and we're talking almost 50 years here - now that's vintage! (just the box, not my mother.) It's the only recipe box I've ever known my mom to have and I remember it well. Now, having a love for things of a vintage nature I have a new appreciation for this little metal box that I've seen all my life. It is so perfectly 60's and full of retro charm. I'm so glad she kept it all these years! It was definitely worthy of a mini photoshoot, so I emptied out its disheveled contents to capture all its angles.





Now if I would just organize all my mother's recipes for her, I just might become her favourite daughter...just kidding, my mom would never play favourites. But perhaps recipe organization is a subject for a future post.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read every one!